1906 saw Jack Morris, the nephew of the famous Old Tom Morris draw up a plan for the Club's first 9 holes. The Course opened for play the following year. The first layout of a full 18 holes, designed by 5 times Open Champion James Braid, came into play in 1931. In the ensuing years the Club gradually purchased adjoining land and extended the Course to its present format. By considerable financial investment, the Members have also protected and improved the Course by controlling the river erosion of the cliff top holes, building the tees and greens to USGA specifications and undertaking major drainage work.